Thursday, June 23, 2011

Only time for a little tidbit this week...

This therapy style I like to chatter about, ACT, borrows a lot from Buddhist and Eastern thought.  I think the language is particularly striking to Western Christians, too.  To me, the similarities get to a universal truth: that the true loves of our hearts - where our wills and desires are really engaged - will find a way to be expressed through our actions, not necessarily our words.

I have to have a hard discussion with someone soon - someone I love and respect.  I'm not looking forward to it, but it really has to be done.  There won't necessarily be any bad consequences if I don't do this.  No real, concrete consequences, anyway.  I'd feel like I cheated on my values, though, and I'd always remember it.  Argh.....and hooray, because I need all the practice I can get.  :)

"An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea." Buddha, pretty much famous for being himself

"It's no surprise that life is richer and more fulfilling when we actively invest our time and energy in the things that are most important or meaningful to us.  Yet all too often our attempts to avoid unpleasant feelings get in the way of doing what we truly value."  Russ Harris, famous contemporary ACT therapist, The Happiness Trap, 2007

"If my feelings offer their assistance, I accept it. It may be useful, but it is not necessary. A calm, profound love is much better than surface emotions." Dom Chautard, famous Catholic churchman, The Soul of the Apostolate, early 1900s

I believe all of these ideas.  Too bad they're not as easy to do as they are to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment